Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mid Term Break

Mossbawn,
Bellachy,
Northern Ireland.

20/2/1953
Dear John,
I am writing to tell you about the accident involving my little brother, Christopher.
I was with you when it happened, but all i know is that he is gone and I can't get him back. He was hit by a car and it knocked him clear. When I came home I saw my father crying in the porch, which is unusual because he doesn't cry at funerals, but at this one he had to.
When i went into the house there were lots of old men standing up to shake my hand and tell me they were "sorry for my trouble". It was very decent of them to do that, but I don't like being made feel like I'm an old man. My mother was very upset, but she didn't cry, instead she coughed out angry,tearless sighs. I tried to soothe her with a hug.
At 10 o' clock the ambulance arrived with the body, stanched and bandaged by the nurses. they brought little Christopher up to his room and lay him down on his bed. At that moment I thought I caught a glimpse of his face, smiling at me, but today is no day for smiling.
The next morning I went up into the room. Mother must have laid out candles along the bedside. I noticed a poppy bruise on his left temple. No gaudy scars or anything. What saddens me is that I hadn't seen him in 6 weeks and he was only 4 years old.
I won't be in school for a while, but could you please keep Christopher in your thoughts and prayers,
Yours mournfully,
Seamus Heaney.