Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mid Term Break

Mossbawn house
Ballaghy
Northern Ireland
2\3\1952
To all my friends at st. columbs boarding school
I am writing to you to tell you why I have not been back at school.
A devastating tragedy has struck my family. My four year old brother, Christopher, has been killed in a road accident. I was away at school when it happened and I hadn't seen my family in six weeks. Our neighbours John and Alice drove me home from school that day. I was expecting my parents to collect me, and bring me home for the break.
When I arrived home my father was sitting in the porch with his head in his hands, crying. I had never seen him cry before. The baby was as happy as ever, cooing in the pram. He had no idea what was going on. I was quite jealous of him at this point, the devestation in my heart was unbearable.
When I arrived inside the house all these old men who I didn't even know started shaking my hand and telling me they were 'sorry for my troubles'. It was quite embarrassing.
Little Christopher's tiny body was brought to the house at ten o'clock that night in an ambulance. I couldn't quite pluck up the courage to see him until the next morning. He just lay there in a four foot box. He looked so peaceful, as if he was sleeping. He was very pale and the only colour on his face was a poppy bruise on his left temble.
I loved and adored my brother and he will be very dearly missed by my family and I.
Your friend
Seamus.
by Niamh O'Gorman.